[ale] slow ftp/telnet response

Stephen Lastinger s.lastinger at computernetdesign.com
Thu Oct 12 16:14:08 EDT 2000

Jeff,

     More specifically, tcp wrappers on the box is trying to do reverse
dns lookup and unable to relsolve the address.  One way to stop this is
to add the ip's , ip block, etc. to the /etc/hosts.allow file on the
server being telnetted to.  Anything in here is "trusted" and no reverse
lookup is done.  For example, if you had some clients and a server
behind a masq. firewall and were using the 192.168.x.x set of ip's
there will not be a need to reverse look them up so you could add:

in.telnetd: 192.168.

if you wanted to not do reverse lookups at all for telnet (very much not
recomended!) you could use:

in.telnetd: ALL

-Stephen

Stephen Lastinger	 - s.lastinger at computernetdesign.com