[ale] Various Rambling Linux Thoughts/Difficulties

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at genetics.utah.edu
Mon Oct 9 18:06:50 EDT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Thompson Freeman wrote:

> While I've been on various RedHat distributions for years (since 4.0), I'd
> like to give Debian a try. I can burn the CD, so I'd like to just download
> an iso image and have at it. Is there an image file out there that I don't
> recognize, or do I pull things together myself and have at?  Some fairly
> specific pointers at this time (about locations and getting everything
> needed) will be appreciated.

<http://download.sourceforge.net/mirrors/iso/debian/2.2_rev0/i386/>

Just grab the three ISOs, burn 'em to disc, stick the first one in, reboot,
and install.

> Related to above, has anybody else tried the RH7.0 release?

I'm a RH beta tester

> Gnome & X - under 6.2 I had them working nicely, but I have yet to get 7.0
> to give me a usable display (either it's unreadable with transparent
> portions, or you cann't drag something across the screen without bits
> being dropped off, or both, or something else.) FWIW, I'm not getting X to
> work right yet either, something that happens to me everytime.

My guess would be that XFree86 4 doesn't support your card properly.  Try
forcing it to use XFree86 3.3.6

> A number of documentation files have changed locations (from /usr/doc to
> /usr/share/doc).

That's going to be true of all FHS-compliant and LSB-compliant distributions
(and if your distribution isn't, get a new one).  It's certainly true of
Debian, for example.

> LILO has gotten some graphic capabilities, although I haven't find how to
> create my own splash screen. The display, however, is pretty enough to
> make it worth having. (Anybody know where the secrets of these file are
> documented?)

The splash screen is a pcx image.  It's pretty well-documented in the
source, at least, so I've never looked to see where else (if anywhere) it's
covered.

> The harder I work, the luckier I get.
>                     Lee Iocca
                          ^^^^^