[ale] bind address already in use

Cleveland Flowe flowe at innoverse.com
Thu Oct 5 10:28:40 EDT 2000

"Gary S. Mackay" wrote:

> Oct  5 00:06:57 server inetd[417]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> Oct  5 00:16:57 server inetd[417]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
>
> How can I track down what is causing this? I've check the inetd.conf file and
> the "auth" entry that launches inetd is commented out. Yes it is RedHat 6.2
> which had this problem, but I "think" I've checked all the suggestions from
> dejanews and still get this message. Netstat shows several instances of inetd
> running. Is that normal?
The rc scripts can also start identd.  "/sbin/chkcnofig --list identd"
shows you the runlevels.  The kernel:threads entry in /etc/identd.conf
controls how many of theses are running at a time.

identd is started before inetd, therefore I can understand how those
error messages can occur.  But since you say that the auth line in
inetd.conf is commented out, check inetd.conf for aliases of auth.  On
my system, which is stock RH6.2, auth can also be authentication, tap,
or ident.