[ale] ping flood

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Wed Oct 4 11:18:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 11:13:31AM -0400, Carl Forsell wrote:
> I am not sure if it is what you are looking for, but check out
> http://ee.lbl.gov/  for info on Tcpdump.  I hav heard that this app has the
> ability to capture packets and dump them - thus ending a ping attack.  I
> have not used it, but the last time I was attacked this was recommended to
> me.

tcpdump will let you look at packets. The dump they are referring to
is the ability to see the packets that were sent. This is a very
useful tool, especially if you are under attack. It won't, alas, help
with an attack because it's mostly a passive tool. It's a
sniffer.

If you're interested in packet capture tools, I'd highly recommend
using ethereal if you want a graphical packet analysis tool. This
project continues to add decoders to give you analysis on many types
of network traffic. It also includes a "follow TCP stream" function to
display a captured TCP session with color coded send and receive.
Great tool! It can also read the output of tcpdump as well as some
other sniffer packages (I use it to read SnifferPro, formerly NetXRay,
captures on my Linux box).

Stephen