[ale] Win4lin

Jonathan Feldman Jonathan at chathamcounty.org
Tue Nov 28 08:20:20 EST 2000

Win4Lin rocks the house.

It's a reincarnation of the SCO DOS Merge product; it uses a "virtual machine" (compleat with BIOS emulation, etc) to fool Windows into thinking it's running on a standalone PC, when in fact it's running in an X window.

It supports TCP/IP pretty well; I have not had ANY problem with any product I've tried except for NEC Sockscap.  Others work flawlessly.

One cute thing is that you can "reboot" a crashed Windows9x session in about 16 seconds on my laptop when using Win4Lin; when running Windows natively, it takes several minutes.  Heheh.

Sorry, I don't know anything about it when running Crimson Hat.  After following the instructions about Slackware, I am running it fine on a Dell Inspiron 3800, FWIW.  You might want to try "fwin" from a command line rather than xinit.

Also, I seem to remember something about a kernel size limit?  Check the knowledge base at http://trelos.com ...

--Jonathan
Jonathan Feldman
Chief Technical Manager, Chatham County ICS http://chathamcounty.org
Contributing Editor, Network Computing Magazine http://nwc.com
"Teach Yourself Network Troubleshooting"
"Network+ Exam Guide" http://feldman.org

>>> "Glenn C. Lasher Jr." <glasher at nycap.rr.com> 11/28 8:05 AM >>>

What is Win4Lin?

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.