[ale] RH6.2 Net Setup Question

jmmills at avana.net jmmills at avana.net
Mon Nov 27 14:03:22 EST 2000

Chris -

Thanks for the reply.

Quoting ChrisColeman at mail.clayton.edu:
> 1. If you issue the 'lsmod' command, is the tulip
driver already loaded?

No.

> 2. Does the output of 'dmesg | more' contain any
information regarding the
> network card?

I will have to recheck this.

> 3. The activation delay of eth0 seems to indicate it
found the card. Is the
> card configured for DHCP or have you configured a
static IP address?

I tried to set the interface for a static IP address,
but may well have missed something.

Another symptom: with my attempted 'eth0' interface in
place the RH Init failed to start 'sendmail' - it
appeared to hang indefinitely. I have no idea why this
should be related. (I use 'fetchmail' under dialup PPP,
and assumed I would continue to do so through 'eth0'.)

Thanks also to Jim Philips for pointers to
<http://www.scyld.com> which has a newer 'tulip' driver
and quite a bit of information on Linux net and
PCI drivers in general.

Regards
 - John Mills