[ale] LPD setup?

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Thu Nov 16 16:22:06 EST 2000

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> I'm trying to print web pages from netscape to my HP Laserjet 4050N.
> "lpr /etc/printcap" prints perfectly.  When I try to print from
> netscape it pritns the html, not the formatted text.  Here's my
> printcap:
>
> lp|HP Laserjet 4L:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lptext:\
>         :lp=:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :rm=208.4.67.14:\
>         :rp=text:\
>         :lpr_bounce:\
>         :pw#80:\
>         :pl#66:\
>         :px#1440:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4050-filter:\
>        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Robert;

The only way that I can get Netscape to print properly is to setup
postscript printer using ghostscript.

An extract from my /etc/printcap file:

hp4l|lp:lp=/dev/lp0:mx#0:lp=/var/log/prterr.log:sd=/var/spool/lp0:sh:sf:
#
#
postscript|ps:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/ps:mx#0:of=/usr/bin/gsprint:sh:sf:

Note - these are for the same printer - just I pipe everything through
/usr/bin/gsprint prior to it going to the printer.

And, my /usr/bin/gsprint looks like:

#!/bin/bash
gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=letter -sDEVICE=laserjet
-sOutputFile=- -

I then have Netscape on my Linux server set up to send everything to
printer postscript.  Works like a champ here.

For Windows machines connected to the server, I use Samba, and can print
straight to printer hp4l.

I hope this helps.

Regards - Bob Kruger