[ale] Laptops and Printers

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Nov 16 13:26:50 EST 2000

Hopefully, you'll consult the Linux on Laptops resource before you buy. It's
located at:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

If you want decent 3D acceleration, your best bet's to find something with
an ATI RAGE 128 Mobility. It's not the best, but at least its specs are
available. (Thanks to all who responded to my question about that, BTW).

Also be aware that if you get Windows bundled w/the laptop, it will be either
with Windows Me or Windows 2000. I'd recommend going W2K, since WinMe has
removed real-mode support, thereby rendering old DOS games (and the Linux
loader LOADLIN.EXE) obsolete. Then again, I haven't experimented with the
interaction between lilo and WinMe.

And in my case, I find that I have to cold-boot from one OS to another,
since Win98 leaves my PCMCIA Ethernet card (3c589) in a flaky state that
Linux can't deal with. That's a ProStar 8260. I don't recomend that brand
unless they've reduced the weight for their offerings.

Dell's in a strategic alliance w/Red Hat, FWIW. I don't know about the other
manufacturers. I noticed a lot of Sony VAIO notebooks and "PictureBooks" at
the recent Linux Showcase. IBM ThinkPads work decently enough. I can boot
SuSE's 7.0 "LiveEval" (runs off a CD) on my TP 600E for work.

HTH.