[ale] Wireless Internet Access

Mike Williamson mikew at tcprod.com
Sun Nov 12 12:21:38 EST 2000

Does anybody know if Linux drivers are available for the Starband service's
modem?  They supply it with a WinME computer but I don't want to use that as
my gateway computer long-term.

Starband is a 2-way satellite dish Internet service.  (No phone line for
uplink...ALL wireless.)  Uploads at 150kbps and downloads between
500k-700kbps.  For $59.95 per month that's a steal if DSL & cable aren't
available...which is my case out here in RURAL Kennesaw.

But I want to use my Linux services on it like FreeS/WAN, masq, ipchains,
etc.  If there isn't a way to run Linux on the gateway box (yet), then is
there a good WinME-compatible port-forwarding service to try?