[ale] [OT]Random thoughts and questions from a printer

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Nov 11 07:19:55 EST 2000

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> I'll admit a bias against using switch boxes as I will normally forget to
> reset the switch when I'm through, which confuses _everything_. (I leave
> the inkjet on 24/7 so my children have simple access for printing school
> work and such.)

You desktop sounds a bit like mine, but not as bad. (two mini towers,
hpux workstation, three laptops and docking stations, scanner, two
printers, 8 port hub, linksys cpu switch...).

I'd say it's time to throw together another box, say a 486 as a
dedicated print server.  It will free up some hardware as well as cpu on
your primary machine.  You can stick the printer server under the desk
or something.  My firewall machines (2) and web server all sit together,
headless, in the corner of my office, opposite my desk.  I've got a
network cable running to a 5 port hub that sits over there with them.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein