[ale] Computer Alarm

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at innoverse.com
Fri Nov 10 02:44:49 EST 2000

I've got a dual 500MHz Celeron system (that I bought from Linux General
Store last year) that has been working just great. However, two days ago
it started periodically sounding a two-tone alarm from the PC speakers
that I can't figure out a reason for. Its quite loud. I rebooted the
machine (thus killing my 74 day uptime :-( ) and checked the CMOS but
the temps were under the warning range (I presume this is the sound
that's made from a BIOS problem - just a guess). Can anyone tell me what
this tone is from? Has this happened to anyone else before?

	thanx & later,

		Ben Scherrey

PS: Are there Linux programs for accessing the CPU temps and other stuff
so I don't have to go into BIOS setup to check?