[ale] Compiling ppp

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Wed Nov 8 23:32:43 EST 2000

Firstly, if you're having to recompile ppp, you may as well compile version
2.4.0.

Secondly, if you're familiar with kernel building, grab the latest
linux-2.4.0-test10.tar ball from kernel.org, and make sure you check the
"Support for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)" box. That renders the rp-pppoe
daemon redundant.

Thirdly, if you're using Red Hat, you could upgrade to 7.0 and get PPPoE
support since they distribute the Roaring Penguin PPPoE daemon and an
updated PPP daemon.

Fourthly, you could just use Telocity DSL service and only have to worry
about DHCP.

Fifthly ... never mind, I'm done. :) OK, one more comment: I have no clue
what that GCC error message means. Maybe it ran into a file written in a
language that it isn't able to map to one of its front-end interpreters.