[ale] RH6.2/Win95 Disk Confusion - OT?

jmmills at avana.net jmmills at avana.net
Thu Nov 2 09:06:04 EST 2000

Hello -

Apologies - (1) this is a Win95 problem resulting from
Linux installation, and I am clueless with regard to
Win95 'mangement'. (2) I am not at the machine now, so I
may be off in some details. (3) This mail is from a web
tool and may contain HTML.

I am having a problem replacing an old RH4.2-derived
Linux (2.0.13) hard drive with a new, larger drive and a
new RH6.2 installation. Linux dual-boots with a really
crufty Win95 installation which uses all of the
IDE1/master drive as two DOS partitions. Linux is the
slave drive on IDE1. Zip-100 and CDROM are on IDE2.
Motherboard is a low-end 'FDI'.

I partitioned the new drive as follows, with Linux
'fdisk':
hdb1: /boot  - small boot partition
hdb2: <swap> - Linux swap space
hdb3: /      - Linux root partition
hdb4: [extended, with logicals inside as follows:
    hdb5: /home - Linux
    hdb6: /usr  - Linux
    hdb7: /opt  - Linux ]

Problem:
When I boot Win95, it is quite confused as to the IDE
devices installed. The Zip drive is not found, but one
non-accessible hard drive partition appears as D:, the
'real' D: appears as 'E:', CD drive moves to 'F:', and
in general confusion reigns.

The BIOS boot finds all the devices just where they
should be. Linux finds all the devices just where they
should be.

When I reconnect the old Linux drive, my Win95 devices
come back more or less where they should.

Another wrinkle: when the system boots, it reports PCI
interrupt assignments as:
 IRQ 14 (can'remember device)
 IRQ 9  (IDE - Controller?)
 IRQ 9  PS-2 mouse
 IRQ 9  NIC

I have tried reinstalling the IDE controller patches,
CDROM and Zip drive - the Win installer can not find the
Zip drive.

Any Linux/Win dual-gurus out there have any suggestions?

TIA.
 - Mills