[ale] sparc modem problem

Ray Hiltbrand rayh at speakeasy.org
Wed Nov 1 22:12:12 EST 2000

The following are the prom setting you will need to look at the ok prompt:
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

Depending on which serial port (A or B) you may need to adjust those values.
Check docs.sun.com for more detail.

	--Ray

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Stephan Uphoff wrote:

> SUN bootproms store options for the setup of the serial lines.
> I think the standard settings are hardware flow-control unfriendly.
> ( A short peek at the sources let me believe that the linux sun
> serial driver seems to query and honor these setting )
>
> You should find the correct Prom setting in the manuals or any good
> SUN (Solaris) FAQ.
> ( Sorry been a long time since I powered up my SUN )
>
> For a quick and dirty fix you might want to try software flow control ...
> ( Since minicom works ... )
>
> Good luck
>
>                                         Stephan Uphoff
>

>   > I am running REDHAT 6.2 on a sparc 10. > > I have been using
> successfully kpp and the ppd,options,chat, etc etc. to dial mindspring
> successfully from intel linux. I have connected a u.s. robotics courrier
> everything external modem to the sparc.  I have successfully used this modem
> with intel linux. > > I can not get kppp or chat script to get the modem to
> dial.  I CAN get minicom to initialize the modem and dial. Minicom utilizes
> whatever default magical setup string it has to ge the modem to work.  Both
> my kppp and chat efforts to initialize the modem and get an OK back FAIL.
> I have tried: > > ATZL2 The kpp log prints TZL2 this setup string works with
> my intel internal courier everything u.s. robotics on linux 6.1. > ATZ The
> kppp log prints TZ > AT the kppp log prints T > AATZ The kppp log prints ATZ
> > AAT The kppp log prints AT > ATZ .........  The set up string from minicom
> which is long and involved The kppp log shows the string up to the first
> white space. > "ATZ........"  The set up string from minicom with quotes
> around it.  The kppp log shows the string in its entirety. > > The modem
> just hangs there during the initialization. NO OK is returned. > > This is
> my ppp.chatscript which I have tried with various set up strings to no
> avail. > ABORT BUSY > ABORT "NO CARRIER" > ABORT VOICE > ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
> > ""  ATZL2 > OK ATDP4046541300 > ogin mycoollogin > assword mycoolpassword
> > > /var/log/messages tells me the chat script failed when I use chat OR
> "fail" when I invoke kppp. > > When I do an INTEL modem query from kppp,
> kppp puts u.s. robotics in one of the ATI fields. When I do a modem query
> from the kppp sparc, I get AE0Q1Vat1. > What ever THAT is. > > I am pretty
> sure I have correctly identified the device /dev/modem as ttyS0 and the
> symbolic link is good. > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > John > >
> -- > To unsubscribe: mail majordomo at ale.org with "unsubscribe ale" in
> message body. >

Ray W. Hiltbrand             rayh @ speakeasy.org
     "Restlessness and discontent are the