[ale] Slackware use of PAM?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Wed Nov 1 17:52:48 EST 2000

Just for the record...

Running RH 6.1, the defaults are such that

If /etc/shadow does NOT contain 'username' then
 /etc/passwd should contain the standard 'crypt' password
 (or the plaintext password)

If /etc/passwd contains 'x' as the password AND
 /etc/shadow contains 'username' then
 the (MD5?) password from /etc/shadow is used

'pwconv' synchronizes /etc/shadow with /etc/passwd, insuring
that all users have appropriate shadow passwords.