[ale] Slackware use of PAM?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Nov 1 15:50:58 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 03:33:44PM -0500, Vernard Martin wrote:
> Recent versions of RedHat also default to MD5 passwords. Annoying as hell too
> since that makes them totally incompatible with any non-MD5 password system on
> the planet (which is most of them).

I've heard conflicting reports on this...   A friend of mine who admins a
Debian machine phased in MD5 passwords without invalidating everyone's
exisiting password in the process.  I thought it couldn't be done, but
perhaps the libs have improved a bit since I forced shaft's passwords
over.

And "incompatible" is moot unless you're copying around your passwd or
shadow file -- The only thing that matters is that the local system's
authentication system can read it.

It should be completely transparent to apps, because, well, that's what
the likes of PAM are for.  ssh and sudo don't care where my password is
authenticated, as long as the PAM layer likes it.

(Unless Kerberos/NIS pass around the crypt()/md5'ed password.  Which is
 quite insecure, IMO..)

 - Pizza
Solomon Peachy                                        pizza at cc.gatech.edu
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                        +1(404)294-6978
Patience comes to those who wait.                            ICQ #1318344
    ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...