[ale] Slackware use of PAM?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Nov 1 14:46:26 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 01:48:02PM -0500, Bob wrote:
> For those that just want to enable Shadow MD5 passwords, this can
> be done on Slackware at least as far back as SW3.4 (1997 or so) and is
> FAR easier than on RH.  30 seconds on SW by following the comments verses
> perhaps 10 minutes on RH6.x.

What, 'pwconv' and adding "md5" to four files (six lines) in /etc/pam.d
takes 10 minutes?  (actually, I think you only need to alter
/etc/pam.d/system-auth)

You don't even need to do that much work -- just type 'authconfig' and
select "MD5" and "Shadow", and it's done.

RH defaults to shadowed passwords, but off the top of my head I don't
remember if md5 is default or not...

Anyway.   PAM is a GoodThing(tm).

 - Pizza
Solomon Peachy                                        pizza at cc.gatech.edu
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                        +1(404)294-6978
Patience comes to those who wait.                            ICQ #1318344
    ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...