[ale] Daylight savings

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Wed Nov 1 07:37:24 EST 2000

I have another answer that I have used on Red Hat, Mandrake and Slackware,
presumably therefore it would work on others as well.  Set the system
clock to GMT, and in the time zone setup applet, set the time zone to
Eastern (it's represented differently depending on distro and version) and
check off the box that says "system clock set to GMT."  It has never
failed.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Bob Kruger wrote:

> "Silberman, Malcolm (BHR)" wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to understand the how and why of Linux, timezones and daylight
> > savings. This is for Red-Hat/Mandrax in particular. I noticed yesterday that
> > my one Linux box did not update automatically, and was an hour ahead. How do
> > I get Linux to update correctly and automatically, and second I have read
> > about rdate and other such utilities, how do they work and what is
> > recommended. (where do I find a server to obtain the time from).
>
> Malcom;
>
> Time Zones:
>
> I've handled this two ways.  The first is to set the server itself for
> your current time zone.  In one of your startup files, insert the
> following line:
>
> EXPORT TZ=EST5EDT
>
> The other way is to set your server to reflect universal standard time,
> but for each user, have in their .config file EXPORT TZ=EST5EDT.
>
> I normally use the latter.  Keeps things straight 24/7.
>
> Time Servers:
>
> Download the xntpd package.  As you are using Redhat, this should be
> fairly easy in that it is a prebuilt RPM.  I normally run Slackware, so
> I end up compiling.  Either way is not a problem.  In the archive is a
> listing of first and second stratum time servers that you can synch
> from.  I normally use a second stratum server with fine results.
>
> Let me know if you need some additional assistance.
>
> Regards - Bob Kruger

Critter at Wizvax.Net
139 days is too long to wait for Telocity and Verizon to hook up my DSL.