[ale] Hello from TWUUG

jeff jduffy at semcor.com
Fri Jun 30 23:47:42 EDT 2000

"Eric Z. Ayers" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> you'll probably get a dozen replies like this, I livein Marietta.  HOw
> can I be of assistance?

 Eric,

 Aside from donating hardware, I want to try and get some corporate
involvement, even if it only means some free box sets from MandrakeSoft
or Caldera (I think Red Hat is probably too big to pay attention to us).
Getting the word out is really important at this phase of the game. If
you know anyone who can help make those kind of contacts, please let
them know about WEGROW.

 I'm really hoping that ALE as a group decides to get involved. You guys
can save the school a lot of money in transport costs for whatever
hardware you end up getting donated (we'll have to haul the stuff from
up here in a Ryder truck). If you think you want to be the
representative for the Atlanta area, that would be fantastic, or if not,
perhaps you know someone who would.

 We'll also need local contacts for assistance in getting the setup to
run, and keeping it running. The plan right now was to use out-of-pocket
money to fund a one or two person trip to install and configure the
network, but with ALE's help we may be able to lighten that burden
considerably. I was planning on using webmin over ssh for trouble calls,
but I don't know what the school's filtering policy looks like yet, so
that may be a no-go.

 The local Perl Mongers group here is also donating time to rewrite some
non-free apps in mod_perl that will have to be paid for and run under
wine for now, so if you know any Perl junkies they're more than welcome
to join us.

 Thanks for writing back so soon. I think nothing but good can come out
of our groups working together, and I'm planning to try and get whatever
press for the project I can after we make some headway on the donation
pool and better organizing individual tasks. I'm sure a letter to
Slashdot couldn't hurt :)

 Please pass this along to the other members of ALE that you think might
be interested in helping out. This is a valuable effort, and I really
want to see the free software community get some good press that isn't
about stock prices.

 Jeff