[ale] VMWare 2.0 rocks

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Jun 29 10:36:23 EDT 2000

> you CAN run NT in the same way that you can locally (without
> vmware).  if
> locally, you can run it without the gui, then you can do so
> in vmware. if
> not, then you can't.

Running NT means running a GUI - and only one of them at that.  One of the
things I'm finding tremendously limiting about NT (and this is after having
worked with NT for over five years and now getting spoiled by Linux) is that
remotely-hosted servers can be manipulated remotely (via PCAnywhere or VNC)
but there is only one "instance" of GUI - only one person can be working the
mouse and keyboard at a time (well, strictly speaking, two or more people
can have a humorous little catfight over where to click and what to type).
Right now, I've got two developers in addition to myself working on a
dedicated-hosted NT box, and we're usually trying to so so in at least two
different places, so coordinating who's "in" when is a PITA.

> what i would like to point out though
> is that anything
> you run only runs at about 75% of normal speed under vmware,
> so running a
> server under it would be ill-advised

Only if maximum speed is a primary goal.

- Jeff