[ale] Renaming many files (prefix-trim)

Yu, Jerry zyu at ptek.com
Wed Jun 28 17:42:12 EDT 2000

if it is fixed number for everybody, then something like this will do.
Assume you want it cut the first 2 characters, thus cut -c3- to keep the
3rd character and anythinga after.

for name in *.*
do
	test "$name" = "*.*"  && continue

	newName=`echo $name | cut -c3-`
	if [ -n "$newName" ]
	then
		mv $name $newName || echo "[$name] failed to rename to $newName"
	else
		echo "[$name] newName too short!!!!"
	fi
done