[ale] CD ROM peculiarites

Mike Kachline kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
Wed Jun 28 11:05:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Michael Smith wrote:

> 	Here's a strange problem that a friend of mine has.  He can mount
> and unmount his cdrom whenever he is not running X but when he runs X, he
> can't mount or unmount his cdrom(even from an xterm).  He is using an Acer
> 40x Max if that makes any difference.
<snip>
	Which desktop environment does your friend use? My hunch is that
perhaps some process is being loaded with the desktop environment which
uses (or at least polls) the CD drive (Does a CD player get autoloaded at
startup of X?)
	Try having him switch to another desktop environment long enough
to test as to whether this theory is true.

							- Mike