[ale] VMWare 2.0 rocks

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Mon Jun 26 20:24:46 EDT 2000

Hmm, maybe one the "local" code monkeys can point me in the right
direction to solving my vmware 2.0 problem. I upgraded my kernel to 2.2.16
by going from 2.2.14 (with vmware 2.0 running fine) with the USB backport
up to 2.2.15 then 2.2.16 by applying the patches. Otherwise USB breaks.
Now the new vmware kernel-modules won't work. So I use the
vmware-config.pl to build new modules. It says it build fine against the
kernel source tree, the module installs perfectly in the kernel, it
repeats this for vmmon and vmnet and all looks well. Then the vmware mods
are started for full use and they fail. It seems the modules are not
written into the /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory. Or any directory! It
was late and I was tired and I only glanced the perl script script that
does all of that rebuilding.(Mmm, perl! a language I actually use!) The
site muttered something about kernel-version mangling with heavily
patched
kernels. ??? Kernel Version Mangling ??? Ideas? I need my stupid windoze
stuff back. Testing some wxwindows database code for a multiplatform gui!
Much more fun.

JimK