[ale] RH6.0 Modules

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Thu Jun 22 12:55:16 EDT 2000

Try adding the line

  options BusLogic

to /etc/conf.modules to force-load the adapter code

AFAIK, "alias scsi_adapter ..." is only useful for modprobe

You could add a /lib/modules/???/modules.dep link between st.o and
BusLogic.o

  /path/to/st.o: /path/to/BusLogic.o

but 'depmod -a' would probably kill that at the next boot

>   Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong while trying to get a scsi
module to autoload.

> The scene:
>   Pent Clone, RH6.0 basic install, Kern 2.2
>   OS loaded on IDE hd
>   BusLogic Flashpoint SCSI controller
>   HP DDS2 SCSI Dat
>
>   At boot, the BusLogic module does not load.
>   depmod -a has been run.
>   kerneld is running.
>   conf.modules contains:
>     alias scsi_hostadapter BusLogic
>     (but nothing else referring to scsi or BusLogic)
>
>   running "mt /dev/st0" complains that /dev/st0 doesn't exist.
>
>   insmod/modprobe loads the BusLogic module without a problem and the tape
drive works great after that.  dmesg shows the tape drive as st0.  mt runs
ok after the module is loaded.

>   I know I can add modprobe to rc.local, the question is: Why doesn't the
BusLogic module autoload when I access /dev/st0?  What is the trick to
getting the module to autoload?