[ale] I can't seem to plug up all the security holes in my box...

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Tue Jun 20 20:57:03 EDT 2000

You've got problems!

Start by dropping to single-user mode and from a known good source replace
every binary that touches any aspect of networking, login and logging.
Make sure you are using shadow passwords. You also need to do a serity
scan for cgi scripts with holes. That is hard work. Try ussing nessus from
another machine to probe your system after you bring it back to multiuser
mode.

The time some of my machines got cracked it wound up being easier to pull
off the user data and wipe the drive and start over.

Scan the drives for setuid/grpid files. Make all you users change
passwords. In other words, change it for them and wait for the phone call.

Ideal scenario:

build a new machine with know good binaries. move over inspected user
file. assign new passwords. swap machines. answer phones and console
users.

JimK