[ale] Replacing Caps Lock with Left Control on X

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Jun 16 11:00:07 EDT 2000

>>>>> "carroll300" == doe, john <m_c_j at bellsouth.net> writes:

    carroll300> On my laptop (as with many keyboards) the caps lock
    carroll300> key is where I would like the Control key to be. So I
    carroll300> tried flipping them by adding the following to my
    carroll300> .Xinitrc. But my keyboard has a "Windows" key where
    carroll300> the left alt key is normally and the left alt key is
    carroll300> to the right of it by the space bar. Does anyone know
    carroll300> the name of this Windows key so that I can make it the
    carroll300> Meta key?

For swapping control and caps lock you can use a built in XFree config
option.  It is probably already in your XF86Config file, but commented
out.

There are the keycodes I use to remap my Windows keys to function keys:

! Left Start key
keycode 115 = F13
! Right Start key
keycode 116 = F14
! Right Menu key
keycode 117 = F15

You should be albe to remap them to alt or meta keys without trouble.