[ale] dd for 'ghosting' ?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Jun 16 10:05:22 EDT 2000

Yeah - this sounds good.  Unfortunately, each machine would have to be "out
of action" to use the floppy.  Then again, that may be the only reliable way
to get a good backup, i.e., with the OS "asleep."  Have you looked into
something like Knox Software's Arkeia?

I was going to try to suggest an architectural remedy.  Recoverability of
individual client machines on a Windows network can be improved by taking
more of a "thin client" approach, taking as much individuality as possible
out of the machines' own disk drives.  That way, you recover machines not by
restoring from a backup but by performing an unattended custom OS install
and config.  All data and app storage would typically reside on one or more
hardened servers.  However, I know from experience that it is often quite
challenging to transition a client system environment to something like that
when client machines and their users have pretty much been allowed to "run
wild."

- Jeff