[ale] Q: RTFM pointer to GCC calling conventions on x86 targets

John M. Mills jmills at tga.com
Wed Jun 14 13:49:22 EDT 2000

Greeting -

Where can I check argument passing by gcc-2.95.2 in function calls and
returns for Intel Pentium uP's? I need to work on C and C++ sources with
in-line assembly for M$VC++ and try to come up with definitions or a
strategy so they can alternately be compiled by 'gcc' or VC++, while being
maintained as a single set of sources.

Executables will then run in LynxOS, for which we will use Lynx's version
of cross-gcc (MSWin to x86-lynxOS).

Also, can 'gcc' produce assembly code for 'as86' (and by implication allow
inclusion of Intel-syntax assembly code)?

What does this imply about linkage? (Will I need to use ld86?) Can I
produce libs from Intel-syntax source which then link properly to objects
from "generic" 'gcc' compilation of C/C++ source?

I expect this is a guaranteed 'bucket of worms', but I also expect some
folks have had to fight it through. Fortunately we're talking about a
small number of assembly lines (but buried in _lot_ of C/C++).

TIA for any comments.

 - Mills

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer