[ale] M$ lobying

Bob bob at cavu.com
Mon Jun 12 19:37:17 EDT 2000

 "Microsoft Tries Another Court; Public Opinion"
 New York Times (06/12/00) P. A1; Broder, John M.

 Microsoft has begun an all-out publicity campaign to persuade lawmakers
 and the public to back the software giant in its battle with antitrust
 regulators and the courts. The company is contributing to both major
 political parties, hiring lobbyists, backing the creation of seemingly
 independent trade associations, running ads in the major media outlets,
 and supporting free-market oriented research groups. Computer and
 Communication Industry Association President Ed Black, whose
 organization is mainly backed by Microsoft opponents, says, "It's
 everywhere and it's huge." Microsoft critics, including Sun
 Microsystems, IBM, Novell, America Online, and Oracle are responding
 with a huge push of their own, including the hiring of former federal
 judge Robert H. Bork, PR firms, and other lobbyists. Total spending in
 anti-Microsoft propaganda surpassed $11 million in 1999, according to
 the Federal Election Commission, while Microsoft spent $4.6 million.

 Microsoft's Rick Miller says the company's PR efforts are in response
 to the attacks by its rivals and the portrayal of Microsoft as a bully.
 Miller says, "Microsoft is fully intent on mobilizing our assets and
 our friends to tell our story." Miller says the company does not expect
 Congress or other political leaders to intercede in its court case. He
 says, "We feel we have a good case on appeal and we're very much
 focused on fighting the battle in the courts and not in the political
 arena." Microsoft's political lobbying efforts were virtually
 nonexistent six years ago, but today the company is the third-biggest
 corporate political contributor, with only AT&T and Philip Morris
 contributing more. It also is aggressively pursuing a grass roots
 effort to mold public opinion, and has hired the same consulting firm
 that Republican presidential nominee George W. Bush uses.

 http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/12lobby.html