[ale] dd and cat

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Fri Jun 9 14:57:09 EDT 2000

If I want to replicate, say, a floppy disk, I can do it with 'cat /dev/fd0 >
image' followed by repeated instances of 'cat image > /dev/fd0'.

But the recommended way to do that is usually with 'dd' instead.  Why?  What
do they do different?

                      __   _
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    "Bulls do not win bull fights;
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    people do.  People do not win
                     \__.-._)         '''     people fights; lawyers do."
                                                   -- Norman Augustine