[ale] Kernel-rebuild loose ends

John M. Mills jmills at tga.com
Thu Jun 8 14:29:27 EDT 2000

Hello -

I have a RH6.1 system with the 'out-of-the-box' linux-2.2.12-20 kernel, so
today it seemed a good moment to install 2.2.16. (Thanks, Bob.) I
configured and installed the kernel and modules, and it appears to boot
and run OK. My questions:

1) How should the file '/boot/System.map' and '/boot/map' be produced? I
tried directing Lilo to create a '/boot/System.map-2.2.16', but I get
error reports that it is not parseable. '/boot/map' is presumably the
mapfile named in /etc/lilo.conf, but my first try (without mentioning a
mapfile) generated complaints of an incorrect (old) kernel version.

2) How should the file module-info-<version> be produced? I thought it
would result from 'make modules_install', but it didn't.

These must be documented somewhere, but I didn't find them, so direction
to the "Right Fine Manual" would be welcome.

Thanks -

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer
   TGA Technologies, Inc.