[ale] Upgrade the sparc or buy a PC?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Fri Dec 29 15:35:32 EST 2000

I am no Sun worshiper, but I would think that the problem you're going
to run into with the Sparc 10 is that you are only going to be able to
improve it just so far for ANY amount of money.  The Sun does seem like
it has some use as-is, within limits.  A second CPU may not help you
much, depending on what you're trying to do with it.  Same with a faster
CPU (what if mem or disk I/O bottlenecks are your real problem?).  If
you migrate the 20" (cool!) monitor to an x86 box, you'll render the Sun
useless.  As is, it can at least be an X-term to both your existing
machine and a new x86 box.

In other words, off to CompUSA with you!

- Jeff