[ale] Upgrade the sparc or buy a PC?

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Fri Dec 29 10:14:55 EST 2000

I am in a quandary because I can't compare sparc technology with a pc.  I have a sparc 10, 20" monitor, 128 meg ram, 8 gig of disk space, low end TMS390 processor (Linux says 50 megahertz, serial number says 36 megahertz).  It is too slow.

I can try for an ebay solution with a 70-80 megahertz processor, OR dual processors maybe 50's for about $120.  I can junk the box, buy a 300+ megahertz intel machine, add a fixed frequency video card to run the sun monitor, and maybe spend $300-400.  I can get an Emachine cheapie or equivalent, and throw in the video card for maybe $500.  I don't need a high end machine.  My current 400 megahertz intel Red Hat box (now dominated by family) works great.  I need something similar.

What will I get if I try to upgrade the RED HAT sparc?  Am I going to be disappointed no matter what? Is the sparc a waste of money?

John