[ale] Video card for viewing cable

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Dec 29 09:09:59 EST 2000

Subba Rao wrote:

> Thank you and to everyone who replied. I will look into the BT848/878 chipset
> cards. One other question about the channel listing, most cards list only 125
> channels on the box. What about if you get 125+ channels from your cable
> company? This is not a feature that will stop me from getting the card.

Not that this is the only solution, but I've gotten around this a couple
of different ways.  Just as you can set your TV on a single channel and
then use the 'cable co.' tuner, whether that's a box or a digital tuner
(Bellsouth).  The downside of this is that you have to use the remote
that came with the box/tuner provided.

I've done this also with a generic (bt848) capture card that does not
have a tuner.  Plug the output from the cable tuner into the capture
card and you can run through the channels via the cable tuner.   You can
get the generic capture cards cheaper then cards that have tuners.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein