[ale] A little 3dfx help please...

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Fri Dec 22 19:17:35 EST 2000

I'm having some Bad Things happen when I try out any of those whacky
Loki games.

I recently upgraded my RedHat 6.2 to Mandrake 7.2.  The 2.2.17 kernel
they provided was fairly evil, so I grabbed the 2.2.18 sources
& installed it.  Other than that, everything *should* be vanilla
Mandrake 7.2.  That means XFree86 4.0.1 with all the fixin's.

When I run test3Dfx I get the expected bright-blue screen but when I hit
"A key" to continue it locks up the display.  Um... I've got a Voodoo
3000 BTW.  And that's if I'm root.  It dumps core if I try as a normal
user.  If I try, for instance, the Heavy Gear II demo it tells me I have
a framerate of several thousand seconds per frame.  Not good...  I'm
assuming that means it isn't accessing the 3dfx hardware.

Any suggestions?  I've not had much luck or experience with the 3d
stuff.

Thanks,