[ale] Finding your name server?

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 22 16:14:04 EST 2000

Gary Lawler wrote:

> I use bellsouth as a dial up on a 56k. My problem is I don't know the
> nameserver for bellsouth, so I can't do any thing in linux. How would I
> find the name servers address. or better yet if any of you know it would
> you send it one close the the atlant area.

It's possible that Bellsouth's PPP servers will pass the appropriate DNS
addresses when you dial up (Windows usually expects this).  If your pppd
is 2.3.7 or newer, you can add the 'usepeerdns' option to your pppd
options file, and it will create a /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing
the addresses of the dns servers that Bellsouth passes.  If Bellsouth is
your only ISP, then you can just copy that to /etc/resolv.conf.  If you
use more than one ISP, or you want to get a little fancier, you could
write code for /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down (to which pppd passes
the received dns server addresses in environment variables DNS1 and
DNS2) to change the current /etc/resolv to what's appropriate to
whatever you just dialed into.  This has the advantage that if they
change the servers, your machine will automatically use the new
addresses.

Ben