[ale] building imlib

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 15:45:10 EST 2000

[Disclaimer: I've never built imlib myself.]

Somewhere in the top-level Makefile, or possibly in
a Makefile in some subdirectory, there will be a make
target called (probably) libimlib.so. (I'm assuming
imlib is really a library, not an executable that has
a silly misleading name). The gcc command
to build that target needs to have the "-ljpeg" flag,
either directly or indirectly (by way of a variable).

Explicit details:

There's going to be a section that looks like:

libimlib.so : <dependencies>
	gcc blah blah blah

or possibly:

TARGET = libimlib.so
...possibly very many lines...
$(TARGET) : <dependencies>
	gcc blah blah blah

The target might be called something else (libim.so, maybe),
but it will almost certainly start with "lib" and end
with ".so" (or maybe ".a", but I doubt it).

If you put "-ljpeg" at the end of the "gcc" line good things
should happen.

BTW it would be helpful if you would post the "make" output,
rather than just "it didn't work" :-)

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka

Ken Nagorski wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>         Thanks for the tip. I thought right away I knew what you meant. It
> seems I was wrong. What I did was added -ljpeg to the Makefile under
> GTK_LIBS. That didn't work. I see it's already in the config.status, I
> took C but I am no expert on this make and autoconf stuff like this.
>         Let me ask you this, when it refers to jpeg it's talking about
> jpeg-6b which I indeed have installed. Well, sorry to come back and nag
> but I am still pretty stuck with this.
>
> Thank you
> Ken
>
>  On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
>
> > Looks like you need to link to the JPEG library. Try
> > adding "-ljpeg" to the library list.

-- Joe Knapka