[ale] Install on Fresh Machine - Opinions?

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Fri Dec 22 13:13:53 EST 2000

Hello,
	My only comment about this is that before I moved here there was once
some confusion on a list about what is installing windows. I am not
assuming anyone does or doesn't know this but... Installing windows of a
proprietary recovery disk is not that same as installing it from an OEM
disk. Usually proprietary disks will wipe out the partitions without user
intervetion and do alot of other stuff besides installing windows. Now
installion of windows from a OEM disk won't effect the partition table at
all.

Ken

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, James Kinney wrote:

> True. Windows will not touch the linux partition. However, to a newbie who
> just installed linux, not being able to boot into linux after a windows
> install _looks_ like a trashed mess. To be fair, linux "trashes" windows
> installs by changing the boot up process. But it plays nicely and shares.
> Windows does not.
>
> JimK
> Local Net Solutions
>
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Dan Newcombe wrote:
>
> > James Kinney <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>  said:
> > > Install Windows first _after_ makeing an empty partition to put linux
> > > in. It will make life easier. Linux will install nicely after windows.
> > > Windows will trash a linux installation.
> >
> > Windows will not trash a linux installation...that's just wrong to say.
> > It will not touch the partition.  The only thing that a windows
> > installation does which will interfer is rewrite the master boot record
> > and set the bootable partition to the windows partition so when it reboots
> > one of the many times during an install it can continue.
> >
> > All you need do to fix this is boot linux with a boot disk and re-run
> > lilo.
> >

> > --

I've got all the money I'll ever need if I die by 4 o'clock.
                -- Henny Youngman