[ale] Autostarting non-root processes on RH

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Dec 22 11:35:36 EST 2000

Under RH6.2, I'm trying to start Zope automatically as a non-root-owned
process.  The docs do not seem to address autostarting, but rather have you
typing "./start" to get it going.

Creating a link in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d would be great but that leaves Zope
running as root.  Putting an entry in crontab would work, because the start
script bombs nicely if there is another instance running.  However, every
time that runs, there is a spike in CPU and memory usage for a few seconds
that I'd rather not have.  It also would mean that Zope would remain down
for some amount of time after the machine booted, and although I could
reduce the upper bound for how long that would be via crontab parameters,
that would be at the expense of taking more frequent CPU/mem spikes.

Is there a preferred general way to execute startup scripts as not-root at
boot time?  The only other thing I can think of would be to put something
like this in rc.local:

	su <username>;/<path_to_startup_script>/start

but that seems a bit clunky.

- Jeff