[ale] Interesting inode problem

Davis, Ricardo C. RCDavis at intermedia.com
Thu Dec 21 16:37:18 EST 2000

One of my systems gave me a riddle for today.

I back up to tape (DDS2) using the following commands:

$ cd /
$ find ./ -print | /bin/cpio -oaBv | /bin/dd of=/dev/st0

What I found is that after about 30 items I got the following before every
file or directory is archived:

/bin/cpio: <name-of-item-archived>: truncating inode number

Is there something wrong here with my cpio command?  I've got plenty of room
on the tape.