[ale] DSL Data Points (Long and meandering)

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sat Dec 16 19:38:30 EST 2000

Having done both sides of the broadband eqn. (wireless and satellite
notwithstanding), I'll concur that on average, getting cable-based service
is *much* faster than getting DSL service. Though I'd have to say that my
DSL experience was much more pleasant than the things I've heard on here.
While I can't remember exact dates, here's a "guesstimate" of how long it
took for me to get DSL through Telocity:

Day 0: move into new dwelling, I get new phone #
4 weeks later: new phone # finally registered in BellSouth DSL database
1 week later: database finally propagates to Telocity, I order service
3 weeks later: Telocity tells me setup is complete, I hook up gateway,
  start surfing within ten minutes

FWIW, I now consider Telocity a mixed bag. They should be commended
for *explicitly* supporting Linux. I also like that they assign a
consistently static IP through DHCP instead of PPPoE, and I've only had one
instance of a signal droppage between my gateway and the local area router.
Unfortunately, I've experienced *severe* problems this past week due to poor
routing configurations within their backbone piping.

Just my $0.02 worth ...