[ale] portmap and nfs

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 15 15:35:13 EST 2000

NFS is implemented using RPC (Remote Procedure Calls). When
an RPC service is activated, it contacts the portmap
daemon and registers itself so that remote clients can
find the port the RPC service is listening on and make the
appropriate connection. So in order for NFS to work, the
portmapper and nfsd must both be running. Also
rpc.mountd, I believe.

-- Joe