[ale] Comments sought on port scan

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Mon Dec 11 21:28:01 EST 2000

'Lo -

I'm trying to minimize vulnerability of my Linux box prior to leaving it
7/24 on a static IP on the net.

I installed nmap-2.53.1 and its front-end from rpms, and ran it against my
RH6.2-2.2.17 box with the following results. Is this good, bad, or
indifferent? Do I need 'sunrpc' service (for potmapper, I think) or
'printer' service? I tried editing 'printer' service out of
'/etc/services' and restarting 'inetd', but these ports all seem to
presist. SHould I be more paranoid? How? What are the most indicative
'nmap' scans to run? What other tools would be good to try?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor at insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
 Interesting ports on $HOST.mills-atl.com (aa.bb.cc.dd):
(The 1516 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
113/tcp    open        auth
515/tcp    open        printer
941/tcp    open        unknown
6000/tcp   open        X11

TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments
                         Difficulty=2320376 (Good luck!)
Remote operating system guess: Linux 2.1.122 - 2.2.14

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4 seconds