[ale] Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not specifically ALE related

Michael Smith MSmith at webtonetech.com
Fri Dec 8 11:36:26 EST 2000

I am
now looking at Telocity.  They offer an "external gateway"(probably just a
router) and static IP's.  They are OS independent.   They don't
care if you set up an ftp or web server either.  I know I'll only get 256kb
upload but at least I can make use of the upload  Also, anyone
have any experience with Telocity....besides the lucky guy who has the CO next
to his home.  Also, I heard a Bellsouth technician talking about ADSL and
how it's speed was actually throttled down due to FCC regulations.  Is
there any truth to this?  Anyone know what the theoretical top speed could
be for ADSL?

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bao Ha
  [mailto:baoh at linuxwizardry.com]Sent: Friday, December 08, 2000
  11:10 AMTo: 'John H. Stephenson'; bill.cotton at myisi.com; 'Michael
  Smith'; ale at ale.orgSubject: RE: [ale] Re: FYI - Charter Customers -
  Not specifically ALE related

  Is
  BellSouth (Georgia) using PPPoE or DHCP?  BellSouth (Florida) is
  using
  DHCP
  which is very easy to setup.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Either way, put the Linux server to do masquerading and you are all set
  to go.  We
  are
  building Linux-based routers which can handle DSL/cable modems quite
  well.
  In
  certain DSL areas, it works much better than the Windows-based
  Access
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Manager, or even other routers like LinkSys.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Bao

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: owner-ale at ale.org
    [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of John H.
    StephensonSent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 11:15
    PMTo: bill.cotton at myisi.com; Michael Smith;
    ale at ale.orgSubject: Re: [ale] Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not
    specifically ALE relatedBellSouth FastAccess DSL is
    finally available at my location. But I am worried about the warnings that
    Bellsouth is giving on their site that says that the DSL service "may not
    work with Windows2000." (See the Adobe pdf file at
    https://fast1.corp.bellsouth.net/adsl/win2000.pdf and, please, no flames for
    my using Windows!!!! :)I am currently running a TCP/IP LAN in my
    home consisting of:1 Red Hat 7 Linux server1 Windows 2000
    workstation1 Windows 2000 laptop1 Windows 98 workstationThis
    network is set-up thusly:a Charter Cable COM21 Cable Modem (static IP)
    > a Watchguard Technologies SOHO IP address sharing router/firewall >
    HP Procurve 10/100 Hub > everything elseEverything is running
    fine now (when Charter is up and running)!My questions (maybe
    dumb)...Why does the DSL Modem care what OS is running on any of the
    systems in the LAN? Can I use the DSL service the same way that
    I am using Charter?Will the Linux server be "supported" by the DSL
    service?Should I bother messing with the setup that is generally
    working (even though Charter's service is marginal with a lot of
    outages)?Thanks, guys.JohnAt 10:44 AM 12/7/2000,
    bill.cotton at myisi.com wrote:
    Hey
      Mikey! I just ordered 416/416
      SDSL from Megapath a few days ago.  Megapath is one of the top rated
      DSL providers listed on DSLR (dslreports.com).  I have a killer idea
      for sharing the cost and bandwidth with my neighbors.  I currently
      have three static IP address with Charter.  I will be curious to see
      how they deal with me.  By the way, where did you get this
      info?  I never know what's going on with Charter.  The last
      couple of days I have had horrible cable modem service.  Do you have
      a web site at your house?  I have a demo site, but the folks in
      Switzerland always complain about it timing out.  I was think I would
      have them try changing some of their TCP registry setting to allow for my
      extremely slow upload speed. <FONT face=arial
      size=2>B