[ale] Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not specifically ALE related

Michael Johnson mjohnson at c-cor.net
Fri Dec 8 08:07:19 EST 2000

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>I would assume that this would only affect the internal
modems that they try to force you to take.  Unfortunately I do not
know whether the listed modems are internal or not.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
external modem is nothing more then an ethernet connection to your
PC/Firewall/Cable-DSLRouter so drivers wouldn't be needed for the
modem. And the .pdf spoke of customer support, when I ordered I had to
convince them they had external modems to give out and that customers can do
their own installs so I really doubt there will be much support for
external modems anyway.
<FONT
face=Arial color=#0000ff>
If you
are going into a router/firewall from the DSL, I don't see how your
configuration will change as long as you insist on an external
modem.
<SPAN
class=755214912-08122000>
<SPAN
class=755214912-08122000>Michael
<SPAN
class=755214912-08122000>
<SPAN
class=755214912-08122000>
<SPAN
class=755214912-08122000> -----Original Message-----From:
owner-ale at ale.org [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of John H.
StephensonSent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 11:15 PMTo:
bill.cotton at myisi.com; Michael Smith; ale at ale.orgSubject: Re: [ale]
Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not specifically ALE
related
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">BellSouth
  FastAccess DSL is finally available at my location. But I am worried about the
  warnings that Bellsouth is giving on their site that says that the DSL service
  "may not work with Windows2000." (See the Adobe pdf file at
  https://fast1.corp.bellsouth.net/adsl/win2000.pdf and, please, no flames for
  my using Windows!!!! :)I am currently running a TCP/IP LAN in my home
  consisting of:1 Red Hat 7 Linux server1 Windows 2000 workstation1
  Windows 2000 laptop1 Windows 98 workstationThis network is set-up
  thusly:a Charter Cable COM21 Cable Modem (static IP) > a Watchguard
  Technologies SOHO IP address sharing router/firewall > HP Procurve 10/100
  Hub > everything elseEverything is running fine now (when Charter
  is up and running)!My questions (maybe dumb)...Why does the
  DSL Modem care what OS is running on any of the systems in the
  LAN? Can I use the DSL service the same way that I am using
  Charter?Will the Linux server be "supported" by the DSL
  service?Should I bother messing with the setup that is generally
  working (even though Charter's service is marginal with a lot of
  outages)?Thanks, guys.JohnAt 10:44 AM 12/7/2000,