[ale] Relaying denied...(help)

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 7 13:46:58 EST 2000

Brian Dowd wrote:

> My current domain, dentfirst.com, is being hosted by a local ISP
> I can get my mail at bdowd at dentfirst.com
>
> I have just had a DSL (Speakeasy) connection installed at work.
> When I try to *send* email from bdowd at dentfirst.com via this DSL
> connection it gets
> returned with a "relaying mail to xxxxxxx is not allowed".
>
> I understand what relaying is (a bit) but I need to know:
> Do I have to move my domain to speakeasy or get them to
> be the canonical resolver for dentfirst.com
> or is this something I can fix in my email client
> or can either my local ISP or speakeasy override this problem?
> *Or* is this a function of the recipient's mail server and I'm just
> stuck with it?

The easiest way to solve this is to set up your email client at work to
use the SMTP server supplied by your DSL supplier.  You can still leave
your from id as bdowd at dentfirst.com.  What's happening is that your
ISP's SMTP server won't relay outgoing mail unless it's from an IP
address within their network.  Getting them to reconfigure to relay
outgoing mail from SpeakEasy probably won't be easy, as it opens them to
spammers using SpeakEasy using them for a relay.  Instead, use
SpeakEasy's SMTP server, and just leave your from address as
bdowd at dentfirst.com.  Relay-denying is normally based on the ip address
of the client, not on the from-address, as the from-address is too easy
to spoof.

Ben