[ale] "Can't compile a small program"

Chris Ness cness at gloster.vivid.net
Mon Dec 4 19:42:05 EST 2000

When my hard drive died after 4 years of 24 hour linux, I have recently been
forced to upgrade (i.e. reinstall from scratch) Linux and KDE. Everything
worked before, but I had installed QT2.2.2 and KDE2 overtop the old files.
Now, I have started from scratch and down it the "right" way, and things no
longer work. Trying to ./configure _any_kde_  program to make a Makefile, I
always end at:

checking for KDE... libraries /opt/kde/lib, headers /opt/kde/include
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for kde headers installed... configure: error: your system is not
able to compile a small KDE application!
Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

It seems to me that it found the headers and then lost them. Permissions for
/opt/kde/include files are world readable.
What am I missing?
--
Chris Ness
mailto:cness at gloster.vivid.net   	      All jobs are equally easy to