[ale] SuSE

Agent Durga durga at burntmedia.org
Fri Dec 1 13:30:55 EST 2000

> For instance,
> Samba wasn't starting at boot, but even once I figured out how SuSE does
> service boot controlling relative to RH, I still wasn't able to get it to
> work (needs more study!).

i havent' done any research on if SuSE changed anything about their boot
system from 6.4 to 7.0, but typically, if you install the samba package
via yast, then edit your samba.conf file to the values you need, you
should be able to restart samba, and from then on it should start on
boot...

i haven't had any problems since i got my samba.conf file set up how i
wanted it...initially i had a couple of things configured incorrectly
which led to the win machines not seeing the share...

> I will probably re-install in a week or so - I'm replacing my Initio-based
> narrow SCSI card with an NCR 810-based one due to issues with the CD burner
> (disk-at-once audio CDs screw up partway through).

-something i've discovered to be really handy with SuSE (i know other
distros have something comparable to it, but i like SuSE so i havent'
explored) is that yast will let you save your cpackage config to a
floppy....at this point if i ever need to reinstall 6.4, i won't have to
go through all the packages groups picking the ones i want installed...i'd
recommend when you re-install that you save the config to a floppy...

-that's my two cents worth,
	-drew
--
   The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
     but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.