Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux ?)

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 31 15:21:22 EDT 2000

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:23:02 -0500 (EST), John Mills wrote:

>I assume I would put in a hub at the modem, then my [two] computers would
>independently use the link. Is that correct, or would then have to
>coordinate and only one establish a link at one time? How could the two
>computers establish a link to each other, without having independently
>established their PPP links to Mindspring?

Mindspring will allow up to 3 PPPOE connections from one account.
Typically this is done by plugging the modem into a hub, and running
PPPOE software on each computer attached to the hub.  Each computer has
a separate PPP connection, though they all go through the ADSL modem.
Of course, each computer also needs its own firewalling software.

I prefer to set up a single IP-Masquerading firewall.  PPPOE drivers
can chew up a fair bit of CPU, and I prefer to do it on just one
computer.

>One will be Linux, one is an iMac: I expect limits my options.

The Roaring Penguin client works nicely for LInux.  I have no idea
what's available on the Mac.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively