[ale] Cable Modem

Gene Matthews Gene.Matthews at eds.com
Thu Aug 31 07:17:07 EDT 2000

I have Adelphia (was Prestige Cable when I signed up; Adelphia just bought
them).  Prestige (and so far Adelphia has been very Linux friendly.  They
don't install any software.  You just need to configure your NIC to use DHCP
(unless you pay for a static IP).  Once they have your MAC address in their
database, you can get a lease on an IP address.  I think all I had to do was
configure eth0 and put their DNS servers in my resolv.conf.  I don't
remember doing anything else.

Overall I am pretty satisfied with the service. If you lose your Cable TV
signal, of course, you have lost your connectivity.  That doesn't seem to
happen very often here.  Occasionally (once a month maybe) the cable light
on my modem will not be lit like it should and I have to power off and
unplug the cable modem for about 5 minutes and that usually resets
everything ok before I regain connectivity.  I'm not sure what causes that
to happen.

gene